I make a list to help me decide what to do:
Reasons to keep my thyroid:
1. NO need for replacement medications. - what if I don't respond well with syntroid?
2. No risk of surgical complications
a) hypocalcemia - tremors, nausea, later bone loss, etc.
c) loss of voice - either temporary or very rarely permanently - I wouldn't be able to work.
3. Anesthetic complications:
a) brain damage
b) kidney damage
Reasons to remove my thyroid:
1. It is large and growing
2. It is compressing on my trachea and esophagus. - What if the compression turns into an emergency situation?
3. I have risk factors for cancer -
a) one dominant nodule
b) growing nodule
c) compression of trachea and esophagus
d) radiation exposure
e) I'm not positive but I think I may have enlarged lymph nodes.
I know that the biopsy came back benign but what if it was wrong. I decide that I would rather take out a benign thyroid than miss a cancerous one and so I finally decide to go ahead with the surgery.