Thursday, March 24, 2011

The last day with my thyroid.

Today is the last day with my thryoid.  I feel like I should say goodbye in some significant way, but how do you say good bye to your thryoid?   It's not like you can hold a big farewell party!   So today I will go about my normal business and try to be sure that my house is clean, laundry is done and the fridge is stocked for my return from the hospital. 


Yesterday I had my pre-op at the hospital. Even as I sat there going through the pre-op tests I was still wondering if I was doing the right thing.  I knew that I had to be absolutely sure of the decision to go ahead with the thyroidectomy before the actual procedure.  Then I remembered that the last ultrasound showed continued growth on that dominant nodule.  I did some more research and realized that I could rarely find personal accounts of nodules as big as mine.  I have been concerned because my goiter is really not that visible on the outside of my neck.  At least it's not as large as I've seen during my research.  However, I think that more of my thyroid is inside my neck and possibly under my sternum where it causes more compression on my trachea and esophagus. 


Although my neck is uncomfortable at this point it is still quite bearable. However, when I have a cold the compression feels much worse and if this nodule continues to grow it will become unbearable and possibly even dangerous.  I would rather undergo a planned surgery when I am healthy and relatively young, than have emergency surgery later when I may not be as healthy.  I have multilpe nodules all over my thryoid with the smallest being greater than 10mm and the largest being longer than 50mm.  If any of these nodules continues to grow it could cause a problem.  What if all of them continue to grow?  


I have known all of this for some time and that is why I originally made the decision to go ahead with the surgery.  The problem has been that there has been so much time between making this decision and the actual surgery date that I forgotten the reasons I made the decision.  I don't want to have surgery, and I don't want to take medication for the rest of my life, but I do believe that in the long run this is the best decision for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment