Friday, April 1, 2011

Exactly 1 Week Post Thyroidectomy

I can't believe that it has been a whole week since my Total Thyroidectomy.  I am feeling pretty good.  I did wake up with a headache but I got up and took my Cytomel and felt better in about half an hour. My soft palate is healing!  Last night I was able to eat a bowl of rice.  There is still some pain but it appears to be localized to one spot on the right side.  This morning when I woke up My throat felt dry and sore but a good drink of water and now it is merely slightly tender.  I am so excited that I may be able to eat more solid food today.  Still,  I plan to be cautious so as not have a set back. 


Last night my incision became intensely itchy.  I didn't know if I would be able to deal with the intensity.  I wondered if it was part of the normal healing process or some kind of allergy to the steri-strips.  I have had reaction to medical tape in the past so I hope it's not an allergy.  This morning that is improved as well and in 3 days I will see the surgeon and hopefully these things will be removed.  I have read that they generally fall off on their own in 7-10 days but so far mine have not budged.  I have even been taking showers without much effort to keep them dry. (My surgeon said it was ok).  They do feel uncomfortable and itchy and I can't wait for them to come off but I know that they serve a purpose and so will deal with them until Monday. 


I thought that I have been doing well, not stressing much about this whole ordeal and just taking one day of recovery one day at a time.  I have felt pretty confident that everything has gone well and will continue to do so.  However, last night I had a dream that I went for my follow-up appointment and received the pathology report.  In my dream the report diagnosed a mix of both Papillary and Follicular Cancer of the Thyroid.  My original biopsy was benign but I guess I still have unconscious concerns about a cancer diagnosis.  Perhaps that is why I woke up with such a headache this morning.  In three more days I will have the actual pathology report and then  I can put these fears to rest. 


Today the sun is trying a little harder to find it's way through the clouds but the sky is still grey.  I am imagining a nice sunny day to keep myself upbeat and happy :)  I will try to do more today.  I will walk to school to get the kids and let them play at the park for as long as they like on the way home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment